Criminal Investigations Division
The Investigations Division is Commanded by Captain Christopher Buffkin and divided into the Major Crimes Unit, the Special Investigations Unit, the Forensics Unit, Document Services, and Asset Forfeiture Services.
- The Major Crimes Unit (MCU) is responsible for the investigation of all serious crimes, including homicide, robbery, aggravated assault, assault, abduction, rape and sex offenses, burglary, economic and fraud crimes, and other crimes that require in-depth or follow-up investigations.
- The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is tasked with narcotics and vice enforcement, as well as other strategic and tactical investigations as directed by the Chief of Police.
- The Forensics Unit is responsible for crime scene processing, evidence collection, property storage and accountability.
- Document Services is responsible for warrant service and prisoner extraditions.
- Asset Forfeiture Services, under the VA Code 19.2-386.22, gives the police department the authority to seize certain property that has been used in the commission of certain felonies, including narcotics. The property may then be forfeited after the court hearings.
Investigators from the Major Crimes unit continually provide information to the victim's family throughout the course of the case. If you have difficulty reaching a detective or are not sure which detective you need to speak with, please call Major Crimes at (804) 203-4466.
As of July 1, 2021: 9 lives have been lost this year. At this date in 2020, 13 lives were lost.
Name Date Location
Kimberly McQueen 01/18/2021 200 block Henry St.
Erica Eldridge 03/19/2021 500 block S. South St.
Juvenile Victim 03/26/2021 1400 block Talley Ave.
Ravon Mays 05/06/2021 20 block S. Crater Rd.
Austin Evans 05/22/2021 500 block University Blvd
Willie Noise 06/06/2021 500 block University Blvd
Dazmon Gary 06/08/2021 2200 block W. Washington St
Jane Doe 07/01/2021 700 block Blick St
John Doe 07/17/2021 500 block S. Adams St
**BOLD indicates case has been cleared**