GovernmentCommunityServicesBusinessVisitorsHelp Center
Click to Home

Go To Search
RSSPrintEmailFacebookTwitterYouTube

Historic Blandford Church & Cemetery
Historic Blandford ChurchHistoric Blandford Church
Erected in 1735 on the highest point in Petersburg, Blandford Church is the oldest structure in the city.

Originally built as an Anglican site for worship, it became an Episcopal church after the Revolutionary War and was abandoned for 95 years.

Restoration
Restored as a Confederate Memorial Chapel by the Ladies Memorial Association of Petersburg in the early 1900s, the church has 15 priceless Louis Comfort Tiffany stained-glass windows, each dedicated to the memory of fallen southern soldiers.

Historic Blandford Cemetery
Still an active burial ground, Blandford Cemetery’s oldest marked grave dates to 1702. An incredible collection of 18th, 19th, and 20th century styles of burial and funerary art, tombstones, ironwork, and landscaping are represented throughout the grounds.

Decoration Day
On June 9, 1866, the first Decoration Day service was conducted by the Ladies Memorial Association of Petersburg. This event became the inspiration for the national observance of Memorial Day.

Soldiers from every American conflict, including a British major general and three Confederate generals are buried within the confines of the cemetery.







Contact Us
Blandford Church & Cemetery
111 Rochelle Lane
Petersburg, VA 23805

Mailing Address
19 Bollingbrook Street
Petersburg, VA 23803

Ph: 804-733-2396

Hours
Please see Museum Hours and Fees.
City of Petersburg - Virginia